There are a number of signs that can help you perceive your fear, and prevent a possible attack.
- His hair bristles.
- Has dilated pupils.
- He stares at you or, on the contrary, looks away.
- His mustaches are stiff and tilted back.
- Flatten the ears against the head.
- Your body posture is hunched over.
- Retract lips and / or bone
HOW TO ACT BEFORE A SCARED CAT
Acting properly is the most convenient in these cases. We recommend you try the following guidelines so you can try to calm a cat:
- Go to him relaxed. Talk to him with love. Sit next to him, and wait for him to calm down. Let him know that you are no threat, nor do you intend to harm him.
- Attract your cat to you with the help of some wet food. The taste and smell that this type of food gives off are a very attractive incentive for him. If you can get him close, stroke his face, running your finger across his nose without bothering him.
- If you detect that he rejects you, let him wander. Surely, you will choose a high place from which you can see everything that happens and feel safe.
- Save him unnecessary noises and presences. Try to drive him to a quiet space where he doesn't feel threatened by the presence of children or other pets.
- Use pheromones. You can buy products that contain them in specialized stores and veterinarians. They are an excellent remedy for cats prone to stress.
- And above all, be very patient. If he perceives you close and relaxed, he will be too.
If despite these tips, you still have problems to avoid its aggressiveness, consult a specialized veterinarian so that he can guide you on how to relax a cat and get to enjoy together to the fullest.
Request an appointment at your veterinarian
The first thing to do is request an appointment at the vet. It may seem logical, but depending on which clinics you can go at the time you want, and this for the cat can be an added stress since many people often go to these veterinary centers, so we will have to wait until we can attend.
However, if we ask for an appointment, We will know that he will attend us at the time he has told us, so we will spend much less time there and our furry will not feel so bad.
Do not use the word veterinarian, vaccine or cure
The cat is a very intelligent animal, which will soon associate any of the words mentioned with that site where it is handled by a male or female veterinarian.
Obviously, sometimes you will have to use them, but you have to try others as healing instead of vaccination to avoid associating them with the clinic or hospital where they treat you.
Spray your carrier with Feliway
Feliway is a product that helps relax the cat. It is very effective in situations where the animal can feel very stressed, such as during trips, removals, the arrival of a new member to the family, ... or when you have to go to the veterinarian.
We just have to spray your carrier 30 minutes before leaving, and we will see how you relax.
Calm the cat while you wait
Once there, the cat will know perfectly where he is, so before he feels fear, you have to try to calm him down. To avoid problems it is better to leave it inside the carrier, because if we took it out I could run.
So that, what we will do is talk to you in a soft voice, as if we were talking to a small child.
Reward your good behavior
During the consultation (and after) we must reward their good behavior, either with pretty words, caresses and / or cat treats. In this way, we will get you to associate the veterinarian with something very positive.
I hope these tips help you so that your furry doesn't feel fear (or not so much) every time he goes to the vet 🙂.
Is the cat a carrier?
The cat is the only animal species that can eliminate the parasite with feces although many animals, including the human being, can be carriers of it through the presence of microscopic cysts in the muscles.
But for this transmission from cat to person to occur, many coincidences must occur:
• The cat must become infected by eating a mouse, a bird, another animal or raw meat previously contaminated.
• The domestic cat that does not leave the house and eats prepared feed cannot be infected–
• If the cat becomes infected, it only releases the parasite in the feces once in its life and for a few weeks. Even if it becomes infected again, it will no longer release the parasite.
• For the parasite of feces to be contagious, they must be in contact with the air for more than 24 hours. Cleaning the tray daily, this risk does not exist.
• To become infected with this parasite, the feces must be manipulated with the hands and there must be oral contact with them. Cleaning the tray with shovel and gloves daily, this risk does not exist.
How can we avoid contagion?
• Wash your hands several times a day. We must be rigorous with our own hygiene.
• Clean the cat tray daily with a shovel.
• Do not give raw meat to the house cat.
• The cat must not leave the house or be able to hunt prey like birds or mice.
• If you have a garden and plan to work in it, try to wear gloves.
• Do not eat raw or undercooked meat, and remove the skin or wash the vegetables before eating them.
With these tips you can lead a totally normal life with your pet. This disease should not be a cause of abandonment, so the more rigorous we are with hygiene, the less likely they are to be infected.