In general, and regardless of their age, cats are much more sensitive to water than dogs. They get stressed easily, and any activity that interrupts their routine can cause them unnecessary discomfort.
Another characteristic that differentiates them from dogs is their obsession with keeping themselves clean, cleaning themselves with the help of their tongue. Since, in addition, most domestic kittens do not usually play outside, their chances of getting dirty are limited.
BATH A KITTEN
Even so, there are certain circumstances in which your kitten may need a bath, either for a specific cause (diarrhea, accidental dirt), by veterinary prescription to react to any pathology, or simply because you have habituated it. In any of these three cases, it is convenient that you choose the best time for the bath, which will be the one in which your kitten is calmer and shows lower level of activity.
Cat puppies can bathe for the first time after 2 or 3 months. The bath frequency changes depending on the breed (long or short fur) and the ambient temperature. In periods of excessive heat, bathing can be done every ten days. In winter, at most 1 time a month.
STEPS TO FOLLOW TO BATH A SMALL CAT
- It is recommended that you carry out the activity with the help of someone. Your kitty will be nervous and will tend to scratch and escape.
- If your kitten has long fur, brush it before wetting it to eliminate possible dry knots.
- For your kitty's bathroom, use a baby bathtub and place a rubber towel or mat on its surface. In this way, you will ensure that your kitty does not slip and feel safer.
- Fill the bathtub slowly and with warm water.
- Have a soft kitty shampoo, a rinse bowl and a couple of towels on hand.
- Hold your kitten delicately but firmly. Put it in the tub and wet the fur while you caress it. Prevents water or shampoo from rubbing the head, eyes or mouth.
- Apply the shampoo following the instructions for use, and then rinse your kitten with plenty of water.
- Then gently remove it from the tub and wrap it in the first towel, gently rubbing it to absorb moisture. Just dry it with the second towel.
- If your kitten is long-haired, you will need to use a dryer and a brush. Keep the dryer away from the skin and with the air in the "cold" position. Brush it when it is completely dry.
- After bathing, examine the water in the tub to see that there are no parasites such as fleas or ticks. If you see parasites, consult your veterinarian and apply the recommended treatment.
Cat puppies can bathe for the first time after 2 or 3 months.
Bathe a cat. Most prone races
The only cat that tolerates water without resistance isthe Turkish Van. This breed usually has a positive aptitude towards bathing. The rest of the races, however tame they are, tend to get aggressive during a shower, unless they are used to them.
Another reason not to abuse feline restrooms is that they canlose the natural oils of your skin that protect them. These are necessary to maintain your health.
Why is it not usually necessary to bathe cats?
It is said that cats are clean and neat animals, and it is not surprising that you have this image of them, since a cat You can dedicate about 8 hours a day to your own cleaning.
Unlike other animals, such as dogs, cats retain the wild characteristic of eliminating their own smell and "slipping away" like this from their prey, the pussies do not want to give themselves to their predators and eliminate clues.
Those of us who live with cats can attest that the cats are long periods of cleaning, mainly with their tongue. While it is true that it is not a bathroom as such, The cat's tongue allows it to remove dead skin, leftover hairs, etc..
And is that the tongue of the cat is covered with a kind of thorns called conical papillae that make it act as a perfect brush. And thanks to their great elasticity, they reach virtually every part of the body, except the torso.
The specialists recommendDo not bathe the cat continuously. Unless, yes, that is strictly necessary, that is, that it has become dirty from a toxic chemical, or the bathroom is on the occasion of urgency.
In all other cases, While the cat is healthy and a good coat is seen, it will be enough with its daily grooming, through licks.
There are specialists who recommend bathing the cat every 5 or 6 months. Others recommend doing it every 5 weeks. But really The time between one bath and another is directly proportional to how the skin reacts and the fur of the animal.
When it is convenient to bathe the cat
However, there are situations in which the cat's bath becomes necessary, such as:
- Non-domestic cats that go out and get dirty. It is not the same access to “dirt” that a cat that lives completely at home can have to the one that goes out to the street, so in these cases it is likely that many times the pussycat cannot be cleaned completely well and the bathroom is make indispensable.
- Domestic cats that get dirty excessively or with a harmful product. Sometimes some action can happen> When it is not convenient to bathe cats
We could say that in most situations not named in the previous section.
The most cats do not enjoy water and even have a dread. It is true that there are cats that do play with water and there are countless videos of cats enjoying a good bath, but usually it is not the most common.
Much of the cases in which the cat enjoys the water is because he is playing with her and because the pussycat has decided to do it, without any obligation. And in many occasions the cats that accept the baths are accustomed to them from very small. If for whatever reason you decide that you want to bathe your cat, It is recommended that you get used to it from your stage of puppy socialization, that is between the first and third month of life approximately.
But, as we have said, there are many more cats that hate baths that do not enjoy them, so bathe them:
- It can be dangerous. Either for the cat or for the human who bathes it. The dangers for the pussy can go from the moment of the bath (for example, it gets stuck in the sink, that the leg is caught with the drain, etc.), as a consequence of the hysteria that can cause it (to run wildly, that hit, etc.). And for the human: scratches, bites ...
- It can be traumatic. Cats do not usually accept sudden changes and can have a good memory when it comes to trauma. If you have a bad time during the bath it can lead to unpleasant situations for the pussycat and for his relationship with the human who has bathed it.
How to bathe a cat
In case you decide or need to bathe the pussycat, consider the following recommendations:
- Time available. At least 1 hour, to be somewhat relaxed and do not add stress to the situation.
- Bathe it in a suitable space. It can be the sink or the bathtub, as long as it fits well and is comfortable for you too.
- Use a specific cat soap. The PH of the pussy is different from that of the human, so you must use a product designed for him.
- Have everything you need before starting the bath: towel, non-slip mat, soap, etc.
- Use warm water. It is recommended that the water be between 30-39 ° C. You can measure the temperature with a water thermometer or use your elbow to see if it is pleasant.
- Let the water run before. So the cat gets used to the noise, and tries to get it wet little by little.
- Offer tranquility to the pussycat. Through caresses, talking to him, etc. and try to be the same person who always bathes him.
In addition to rinsing the cat with plenty of water, making sure that no soap leftIt is also very important that dry it well (especially if it's cold) and avoid colds or other discomfort.
Other important recommendations
- Put ona rag or anti-slip mat on the floor. So that the cat fits the claws on her and can not hurt himself or us. In addition, we will prevent it from slipping with easy>
Degree in Law by Castilla-La Mancha university. Master in Business, Investment and Finance (UNED). Freelance Writer and Writer. Specialist in Marketing. Degree in Nutrition. Degree in SEO and digital positioning.
Having been official and lawyer for many yearsHe currently collaborates with different media and digital newspapers, thematic blogs, web page development, writing guides and instruction manuals, promotional texts, advertising and marketing campaigns, opinion pieces, stories and scripts. He has participated in important text editing and curation projects, adapting them for professional websites. He usually writes on all types of platforms, Google Docs, WordPress, etc.
In the market there are countless products for hygiene and cleaning of pets. Some have higher quality than others, with results that can vary depending on a good number of imponderables. But there is always the option of ...
In summer it is much easier, since it also helps them to cool off. However, bathing a dog in winter can be a more complicated task. We must be very careful not to get sick! Find out in this article ...
Again our dog sees us with the towel and preparing everything in the bathroom to wash it and hides in the most inhospitable corner he knows in the house. Every time his behavior is more fearful and you are afraid…
The vast majority of dogs hate bath time. However, you can take advantage of the hot days to bathe your dog with hose in the home garden, and make the aversion disappear. Especially…
Cats hate water and, although they have an obsessive behavior for grooming, the truth is that the bad smell can come and see us in the position of how to clean it without going through the bad drink of putting it in the ...
One of the most frequent questions when we have a feline at home is usually if we have to bathe it and how often. It is no secret to anyone the discomfort that most of these pets feel in contact with water, ...
We personally have never had to bathe our cats. In fact, when Kato got dirty with the bicycle chain we were able to fix it with a damp towel and clean it up little by little.
The times that they have approached the water when we take a shower we have seen that it does not make them a bit of grace, so if we can avoid bathing them, we will continue doing so.
In your case, do you bathe your cats? Tell us more in the comments.
EVERY WHEN SHOWER A CAT?
It is also true that if you can get your cat used to the bathroom since it is a kitten (after 2 months of age), contact with water should not necessarily be unpleasant. If this is your case, and your cat does not usually go outside, a monthly washing frequency is sufficient.
Disadvantages when bathing a cat
● When you bathe them, largely lose their natural oils, in the hair layer. These natural protectors that secrete naturally, avoid among others, contact with pathogens and keep your skin and hair protected.
● The use of a bath gel that is not suitable for your natural fur, can make your natural pH, is at risk and above all, that can reach delicate areas of your body, such as eyes and ears, especially sensitive to any type of field.
● Many cats, develop through an inappropriate bath, water phobias and violent events can occur, with the resulting stress generated.
● Some cats may develop allergies to inappropriate products for their bath. Avoid at all costs, gels that are not recommended specifically for them.
A very valid alternative is the use of dry cleaning foams for cats, which you can buy in stores for specialized cats. In addition, with a correct regular brushing that will eliminate dead hair, it can be the perfect combination for proper hygiene and cleanliness of your cat, without going through the bathtub.
When it is good to bathe a cat
If you still decide to bathe your cat, The first of all is to take into account the almost innate repulsion they have to water, but with habit and good practices, to be able, since they are small, it may be possible that the bath is not a losing battle.
A bathroom may be recommended:
● When the cat has contact with the outside and gets dirty often.
● When you have the long hair and a certain propensity to grease or form knots.
● When by accident, your cat gets dirty with some substance that may be harmful to your health.
● When we talk about races with little hair and skin folds, like Sphynx cats
After a cat's bath
When you're done, use a towel and dry it by rubbing and rubbing it with special care. If you can avoid the dryer, better, because in addition to causing stress due to noise, improper use of it could cause skin burns if it is not at the proper distance.
● A final brushing, for remove dead hair during the drying phase.
● An award immediately after bathing, can be a way to associate this process, with something that has happy ending.
As a summary say that if your cat lives at home with you, it has no contact with the outside and has short hair, unless nothing strange happens and is due to greater cause, to the question of whether Do cats bathe? The answer is that except in certain situations, it is totally expendable. Brush your cat regularly and its cleaning moments based on licks are enough to avoid any bath.
and you bathe your cat? Do you think it is necessary in your case? Share your experience in the comments and if you found the article interesting, please share it.
HOW TO BATH A CAT?
To perform a cat's bath, you must have tact and patience. Although your cat likes water, any sudden movement can generate stress and complicate the activity. You can use the bathtub, or a container that fits your size. It is convenient that you place a mat on the surface to prevent your cat from slipping with the nails. Use warm water (30 degrees) and a specific feline shampoo. This last point is very important, because human shampoos, even if they are neutral, do not respect the PH of the cat's skin. Before you start, let the water run for a few seconds so that your cat gets used to the sound.
During bathing, avoid contact of water with your ears and eyes. In this way, you will reduce the risk of developing infections afterwards. Start by wetting the lower part of your body with your hand or the help of a soft sponge, and see yourself gradually ascending. With this technique, you will increase your confidence and make the process easier. Soap it while stroking it, and let the shampoo act for a few minutes. Finish the process by rinsing your body with plenty of water to remove soap residue, which could bother you during your daily cleaning routines.
Once the task is finished, dry it with a towel, with great care and care. If it is winter, you can also use a dryer to accelerate drying, although the noise it produces usually causes restlessness and anxiety. You can try a silent dryer. Approach it in moderation, and let it touch you to familiarize you with it.
When you have achieved that it is completely dry and calm, you can give it one last brushing so that its coat is shiny and uniform.