While it is true that this condition can be alleviated at home, we should immediately go to the veterinarian if he regularly coughs for a full day.
Dogs may have a cough for various reasons: from seasonal allergies to choking on food. Various infections can also be caused by viruses, fungi or bacteria.
While there are different homemade options that are often used to relieve coughs in dogs, If the animal coughs regularly for more than 24 hours, you should take it to the veterinarian without delay.
Some home remedies to relieve cough in dogs
If the cough in dogs is not accompanied by other symptoms that may cause concern, try some of these homemade options:
- Honey. A spoonful every three to five hours helps soften your throat. You should not give too much honey, as it can cause stomach upset. Do not supply this food if your pet is under one year old, as it contains spores that can damage your immune system, because it is not yet fully developed. And another important detail: honey must be natural. It must not be processed or carry additives.
- Coconut oil. Among the multiple benefits that this substance provides to your dog, adding two tablespoons in your drinking fountain will help strengthen your defenses, as well as relieve your cough.
- Cinnamon. If your pet accepts it without problems, you can sprinkle it on your com>
Other tips to relieve cough in dogs
In addition to home remedies, consider these options to try to remove the annoying cough of your dog.
- Administer a small dose of pediatric cough suppressant. You can calculate the amount based on the weight of your pet.
- Give filtered water to drink. It happens that some dogs develop allergies to tap water chemicals that can cause coughing.
- Change your food. Feed additives can also cause allergic reactions over time, including cough.
- Provide vitamin C in supplements to boost your immune system. The doses are 100 milligrams daily for small dogs, 250 for medium dogs and 500 for large dogs. Lower the amount if your dog starts to have diarrhea.
- Too you can use some homeopathic medicines. Consult a specialist about the most appropriate options.
- Put it in the bathroom, close the door and Open the hot shower so that the steam relieves your irritation. Stay next to your dog during this process so that he feels accompanied and does not alter this strange situation.
- Try to keep it calm until your cough goes away. If your dog is young and plays aggressively, it can damage its respiratory tissues.
- Avoid extra irritations. Do not expose it to smoke, do not smoke near your dog and keep your house ventilated and dust free. If you use chemical products for cleaning, make sure that the animal does not approach the area where you are doing those household chores.
- Pass it early in the morning or at sunset, when the air is usually more pure. For the rest of the day, make it stay inside your home, in a warm environment.
- Give him wet food to avoid irritation when swallowing.
- Take off your necklace, so you will relieve the affected area more.
- Keep your pet away from other dogs to avoid possible infections.
Remember to always consult the vet at the slightest doubt that arises. He will know if you are using the appropriate methods to relieve and cure your pet's cough.
What is the cough? What does it tell us?
The cough is a reflection of the body in the form of sudden expulsion of air from the airways, which seeks to mainly eliminate secretions such as mucus or substances that have been aspirated.
It is a condition that, in many cases, is presented as a symptom of respiratory tract infection, heart problems or just a cold. But it can be due to many different factors such as allergies, bacteria, a choking with a little water or a piece of food and a long list of possibilities.
What can I do to help my hairy?
As the cough can have diverse and very different origins between them, from something very simple to something more serious, the best we can do for our furry is to follow a series of recommendations like these:
- First we must make sure if the cough is somewhat timely and once expelled what bothered in the airways is over, in this case it is good offer him some water once he calms down and breathes again normally, or if it is a persistent symptom that indicates that something else happens to our dog.
- In the case of a recurring symptom we must go to our veterinarian trusted to perform tests that help you >
Home remedies for my dog's cough
There are many natural and easy to prepare remedies to relieve cough in our faithful companions, here are some of them:
- Loquat juice: It is a remedy highly recommended by veterinarians. It is one of the best natural remedies due to its high content in Vitamin A, which will strengthen the dog's immune system by helping the recovery of the affected mucous membranes. It is not worth any other fruit, we must think that there are various foods toxic to dogs and that is why it is very important that we treat loquat juice and not other fruits or foods to treat the cough. Offer the juice to drink in a bowl, like when we offer water. You should try to have a glass of this juice a day for several days as you see the pace of recovery or the days your veterinarian tells you. If you do not drink it at will, you can choose to use a syringe and give it to small sips as if it were a syrup, trying not to force it so as not to cause vomiting.
- Green leafy vegetables: These vegetables contain a lot vitamin C which also strengthens the immune system of dogs. This vitamin can be found in green leafy vegetables, but there are also vitamin supplements indicated for veterinary use. It is very important that you establish with your veterinarian what is the daily dose that suits your dog according to its weight and other possible indicators, since an excess of this vitamin could cause diarrhea.
- Coconut oil: This is another very effective remedy against cough, as it also strengthens the immune system of dogs by relieving their cough, favoring their energy and vitality by helping them fight heart conditions. You should mix a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil in your usual bowl of water and let it be drunk.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon is another food supplement that serves as an antiseptic and is highly recommended to relieve cough in our pets. If your dog likes it, you can sprinkle it on his food.
- Mint tea: A few drops of mint tea with a syringe directly into the mouth of your dog will help clear the airways, as this tea has expectorant and decongestant properties.
- Honey: Honey must be natural, without being processed or with extra contents. Like us, honey helps soften the irritated throats of dogs. You can give it a small teaspoon every three to five hours. But be careful, you should not overdo giving honey to your hairy, because you can cause stomach upset, nor should you give it if your puppy is less than one year old, since the spores that contain the honey can damage the immune system of your puppy since it still it is developing.
- Vapors and vapors: Fogging is highly recommended to relieve respiratory problems. You can lock yourself in the bathroom and let the hot water run creating steam, always controlling not to overdo it. You can also add a medicinal plant indicated as an expectorant and antitussive that favors the respiratory tract, such as eucalyptus or echinacea. You should always make sure that the medicinal plant you choose is not toxic to dogs. You should boil a few leaves to create the steam and once fresh out of the fire bring it closer to your dog as carefully as possible.
This article is purely informative, at ExpertAnimal.com we have no power to prescribe veterinary treatments or make any kind of diagnosis. We invite you to take your pet to the veterinarian in case he presents any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Home remedies for my dog's coughWe recommend that you enter our section on Home Remedies.
My dog has a dry cough and retching
The first thing is to differentiate the cough with the arcades. There is a disease called gastric torsion that causes arcades, that is, vomiting attempts that do not end well because they are not able to expel anything. The torsion begins with a gastric dilation because of eating a lot, very fast, introducing large puffs of air into your stomach and, seconds later, making a great physical effort.
After that, the belly squirms without being able to eject anything or eat anything. Then they try to vomit and they don't get it, the arcades appear. If this is your case, touch your belly. If it is a gastric torsion, it is usually hard. Although it is not, if you have taken a binge and then have these types of arcades, do not look for home remedies and go to a veterinarian.
My dog has a cough, what do I give
If you cough, it seems that you want to vomit and do not have a hard stomach, you may have something stuck in your throat. For these situations it is important that you know how to practice the Heimlich maneuver. There are three ways to get what is stuck in your neck. The first thing you have to do is flex your back, taking it from behind but not lifting it. Cross your arms around your waist and push towards you.
If you have a small or medium dog, take it by the legs and lift it up, shaking it down with dry movements. If you are a large breed, give him five pats on his back. You don't have to hurt him, but help him expel what he has inside. If you do not look sure to follow these steps well or think you have not breathed for too long, get in your car and go to your emergency veterinarian.
Cough in old dogs or because of a cold
The cases we have treated with a cough in between require your immediate reaction but, what to do if it is a cough caused by a flu or a cold? If this is your case, there is a home remedy that usually works very well: steam. We recommend that you take it to your bathroom and open the hot water tap. Leave it on the floor and flood the room with the steam that will come out. This will allow you to breathe better and cough less.
If your dog is older and is prone to catching colds, we recommend that you add vitamin C supplements in your diet. If you get in touch with our dietitians they can give you some recipes that you can prepare at home rich in vitamin C and green leaf, which has a lot. The problem is that not all dogs tolerate it well and you have to give it to them with the supervision of a specialist to cause diarrhea.
If you live in Madrid or in big cities, your dry cough is likely to be caused because your throat is dry, due to excessive pollution in the environment. To solve this problem, it is best to take it for a walk at times when the environment is less charged, such as early in the day. Tobacco smoke also hurts them, so we recommend that you do not smoke at home.
Cough treatment in dogs
You can also solve your cough if you increase the hydration of your body, especially your throat. Many dogs have a sore throat because they don't drink enough water. Make sure you always have your drinking fountain full and give you an extra supply of wet comfort. If you eat dry feed day after day, it may have caused you some injury or may be dry.
We do not recommend that you try homemade remedies such as honey or cinnamon. Products that are sugary or spicy, supplied in doses not regulated by dietitians, can do more harm than good. Contact our online veterinarians to receive more information.
Have you been left with doubts? Ask our veterinarians:
Care for dogs with cough
At the time the dog has started with medical treatment, we have the possibility of being able to complement it with some natural remedies, in this way we can follow the steps that we present below:
The first thing we have to do if we have not yet had the opportunity to assist the veterinarian, is identify what are the causes of cough. If we know what the origin of the cough is, it not only gives us the possibility to start with the specific treatment but we can also know if our dog suffers from a disease that is serious or maybe not.
If our dog's cough has not completely disappeared, we have to maintain a limit on physical activity, since if excessive physical exertion occurs, it can cause respiratory problems to be more serious and at the same time can increase cough.
In this way, we have to try not to strain our pet. But nevertheless, we don't have to eliminate the exercise completely, because it could trigger in our dog that is stressed or very anxious about the lack of activity. We must rest and in turn we must maintain as little physical activity as possible.
Home remedies for dogs with cough
One of the home remedies that we can use to treat cough Our dog, which has a lot of popularity and which at the same time has been indicated by the veterinarian, is the loquat juice. We must remember that we can find a great amount of foods that are toxic For our dogs, among them we can mention the avocado, so that any juice is not worth it.
In the same way, a large number of studies have shown that the Vitamin C has the ability to strengthen the immune system from our furry friend. So one of the home remedies that we can use for it are vitamin C supplements, giving our dog about 100mg a day if it is one of those breeds that are small, 250mg if it is medium or its difference 500mg if it is large or giant
In the same way that happens with human beings, the vapors have the capacity to be able to considerably relieve the cough in our dogs. For this, there is a lot of medicinal plants which can be a great help as a home remedy, including echinacea and eucalyptus.
Because what is your content of properties that are expectorant and cough suppressant, provides benefits to the respiratory tract and has the ability to relieve the cough of our dog. For that we only have to boil water and add a few leaves of one of these plants.
The last thing we can mention is another of the home remedies that are more effective so that we can treat our dog's cough, being the well known coconut oil, since it is very helpful to strengthen the immune system, providing a lot of energy, vitality and also It is helpful to be able to treat heart disease.
What we simply have to do is mix only two tablespoons of this oil in a bowl that is full of water and let our dog drink as he normally does. In the same way, Cinnamon is another of these supplements indicated for the treatment of cough.
Text: thefreshnutrtion.com - Carolina Segura (Degree in Veterinary Medicine from the University of Cordoba and member of the Illustrious College of Veterinarians of Madrid)
Cough in dogs, consists of a sudden expulsion of air from the airways, whose function is the elimination of secretions, such as mucus or aspirated substances, thus releasing these routes for proper ventilation n.
Cough in dogs, consists of a sudden expulsion of air from the airways, whose function is the elimination of secretions, such as mucus or aspirated substances, thus releasing these routes for proper ventilation n.
Therefore, the cough itself is not a disease, but a symptom of a disease of the respiratory tract. This means that we should not seek to treat the cough, but to diagnose the disease that produces it and directly treat the disease, that is, cough remedies. In some cases trying to cure that cough is contraindicated, since as we have described it is a mechanism of elimination of substances, it should be your veterinarian who determines, after the exploration and if necessary with complementary tests, what is the cause of cough and will send you the treatment indicated for the pathology that produces it.
The most common causes of cough are infectious diseases, both bacterial and viral, the latter are called kennel coughs, and heart disease, usually in elderly dogs.
Then I will give you the fundamental protection measures to remedy the cough in your companion pet, always in a preventive way, since as we have spoken if the cough is already developed you should go to your veterinarian.
Vaccination against kennel cough disease:
This disease is highly contagious, it is very easy for your dog to contract it when playing with his doggy friends in the park or in a canine nursery or simply in any area where he has contact with other dogs. I recommend its application in the autumn-winter time, at the beginning of changes in temperature and cold, it is the time when the animal's defenses lower and it is most susceptible to these viruses.
- Protect it against cold and rain: This is a bit difficult, but as far as possible, keep your throat warm outside, if it gets wet during the walk, take it well when you get home so you don't get wet, If it is a dog that spends a lot of time abroad, make sure it has a good shelter where it is warm and protected from the weather.
Photo: Alberto Nevado - The Dog's World.
- Annual reviews for seniors: from 7 years of age, which is when the mature stage begins in the dog, you should perform an annual review of your animal, because even if you believe that its health is unbeatable, some diseases, such as those of the heart, they do not show their faces until they are advanced, one way to stop this progress is to diagnose it in time. You can set it up as a routine before starting your vaccination every year, so you won't forget it.
- Be careful with the bathrooms: If you plan to bathe your dog, make sure that you do not do it in an area of current, that it is in a warm environment and that you dry it well so that it does not remain damp.
- Watch your health status: Note that it does not exhibit any unusual behavior, such as decay, lack of desire to go for a walk, loss of appetite, sneezing or choking episodes. All this can help detect any type of disease in time and improve your health on time.
- Some remedies for grandma's natural cough: Although you think that these things do not help, these natural medicine remedies also add up, always under veterinary supervision, for the timely improvement of a sudden cough, you can, for example, give a small teaspoon. of honey with warm water, to soothe throat irritation, provided that it is not contraindicated for any disease such as diabetes.
Just as it happens to us, your hairy catches a cold, although it is not exactly the same process, but the care you should have is quite similar to what you have for not getting sick. In addition, any type of infectious or heart disease that is avoided or treated on time is better than having a bad season with dog cough. What do you think of these cough remedies for dogs?
Fresh Nutrition, the blog where it teaches you to take care of both the physical and emotional health and nutrition of your pet.
1. Tea with honey
According to some studies, honey can relieve cough.
There is a study on treatments for nocturnal cough in children. It compares the results using dark honey, dextromethorphan, a medicine to suppress cough and no treatment.
Although the benefits of honey were lower than those of dextromethorphan, parents rated honey as the most favorable of the three options.
To use honey as a cough treatment, mix 2 tablespoons with hot water and an herbal tea. Drink this mixture once or twice a day. Please avoid children under 1 year of age eating honey.
Ginger may facilitate asthmatic or dry cough, as it has anti-inflammatory properties. It could also relieve nausea and pain.
One study suggests that some anti-inflammatory components present in ginger can relax the airway membranes, which reduces cough. The researchers mainly studied the effects of ginger on the cells of humans and animals, although more research is needed.
Prepare a ginger tea with 20-40 grams of fresh ginger slices to a cup of hot water. Let it cool for a few minutes before drinking it. Add honey or lemon juice to improve the taste and further calm the cough.
Keep in mind that, in some cases, ginger tea can cause stomach upset or heartburn.
The most important thing for a cough or a cold is to stay hydrated. Research indicates that drinking fluids at room temperature can relieve cough, runny nose and sneezing.
However, people with additional symptoms of a cold or flu can benefit from hot drinks. The same study shows that these can improve symptoms even more, including sore throat, chills and tiredness.
The relief of symptoms is immediate and they continue for a while after finishing the hot drink.
Among the hot drinks that can be comforting, we find:
- clear broths,
- herbal tea,
- decaffeinated black tea,
- hot water, or
- hot fruit juices
4. Water vapor
Wet cough, one that produces mucosa or phlegm, may improve with water vapor. Take a shower or hot water bath and let the bath fill with steam. Stay inside for a few minutes until symptoms improve. Drink a glass of water afterwards to cool off and avoid dehydration.
Alternatively, prepare a bowl of water vapor. To do this, fill a large bowl with hot water. Add herbs or essential oils, such as eucalyptus or rosemary, which will help improve decongestion. Tilt over the bowl and cover the head with a towel. Thus the steam will be trapped. Inhale the vapors for 5 minutes. If you feel the heat of steam on the skin, stop until it cools.
People with a wet cough or chest congestion should follow the recommendations of the US National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute. UU. (NHLBI) and use a steam humidifier in your home.
5. Marshmallow root
Marshmallow root is a herb widely used throughout history as a treatment for coughs and sore throats. The herb may improve the irritation caused by cough, due to its high mucilage content. It is a thick, sticky substance that covers the throat.
In another small study it was revealed that an herbal cough syrup with marshmallow root, thyme and ivy relieved the cough caused by common colds and respiratory tract infections. After 12 days of taking the syrup, 90 percent of the participants rated their effectiveness as good or very good.
Marshmallow root is also available in the form of dried herb or tea in sachets. Add hot water and drink it immediately or let it cool first. The longer the marshmallow root remains in the water, the more mucilage it will drink.
Side effects may include an upset stomach, but you can counteract it by drinking extra fluids.
You can buy the marshmallow root in health product stores or on the Internet.
6. Gargle with salt water
This simple remedy is one of the most effective for treating sore throat and wet cough. Salt water reduces phlegm and mucosa in the back of the throat, which may decrease the need to cough.
Stir half a teaspoon of salt in a cup of hot water until dissolved. Allow the solution to cool slowly before using it to gargle. Hold the mixture at the end of the throat for a few moments before spitting the mixture. Gargle with water and salt for several times each day until the cough improves.
Avoid giving younger children salt water, as they will not be able to gargle properly and if they swallow the salt water, it can be dangerous.
Bromelain is an enzyme that comes from pineapples and is more abundant in the heart of the fruit.
Bromelain has anti-inflammatory properties and may also have mucolytic properties, which means that it can decrease the mucosa and eliminate it from the body.
Some people drink pineapple juice daily to reduce the mucosa of the throat and eliminate cough. However, there is not too much bromelain in the juice to relieve symptoms.
You can find bromelain supplements at a store and they may be more effective in eliminating cough. However, it is better to talk to a doctor before trying new supplements.
You may be allergic to bromelain. In addition, this herb can cause side effects and interact with medications. People who take specific anticoagulants or antibiotics should not take it.
Thyme has both culinary and medicinal uses and is a common remedy for cough, throat irritation, bronchitis and digestive problems.
One study showed that a cough syrup with thyme and yedra relieved the cough more effectively and faster than a placebo syrup in people with acute bronchitis. The antioxidants that make up the plant may be responsible for its benefits.
To treat a cough with thyme, look for a specific syrup that contains this type of herb. Alternatively, prepare a cup of tea and add two tablespoons of dried thyme in a cup of hot water. Let stand 10 minutes before filtering and drinking.
9. Food changes for acid reflux
Acid reflux is a common cause of cough. Avoiding foods that can cause acid reflux is one of the best ways to control this disease and reduce the cough that accompanies it.
Each individual can have different acid reflux triggers that they should avoid. People who are not sure of the causes that cause it can start by eliminating the most common triggers from their diet and monitoring their symptoms.
Foods and beverages that cause acid reflux most often include:
- citrus foods,
- fatty and fried foods,
- garlic and onions,
- food with spices and salt, or
- Tomatoes and products that contain them.
10. Slippery elm
Traditionally, Native Americans used slippery elm bark to treat coughs and digestive problems. The slippery elm is similar to marshmallow root, as it contains a high level of mucilage, which helps to soften the cough and throat irritation.
Prepare a slippery elm tea and add a tablespoon of dried herb in a cup of hot water. Let stand at least 10 minutes before drinking. It is important that you keep in mind that the slippery elm can interfere with the absorption of mediation.
You can find the slippery elm in capsule form or powders at any health-specific store or on the Internet.
Acetylcysteine is a supplement that comes from the amino acid L-Cysteine. You can take a daily dose to reduce the frequency and severity of wet cough, as it removes the mucosa of the respiratory tract.
A meta analysis of 13 studies suggests that acetylcysteine can significantly reduce the symptoms of people with chronic bronchitis. It is a prolonged inflammation in the airways that cause mucous secretion, cough and other symptoms.
The researchers suggest a daily dose of 600 milligrams (mg) for people without airway obstruction and, up to 1,200 mg, if there is an obstruction.
Acetylcysteine can have serious side effects, including hives, inflammation, fever and difficulty breathing. If you think you have some of these problems, you should consult your doctor.
Probiotics do not directly relieve a cough, but can stimulate the immune system by balancing bacteria in the intestine.
A strong immune system can help fight infections or allergens that cause cough.
According to one study, one type of probiotics, a bacterium called Lactobacillus, provides a moderate benefit in preventing a cold.
You can find supplements containing Lactobacillus and other probiotics in a store with health products or in the pharmacy.
Some foods are naturally rich in probiotics, including:
- miso soup,
- natural yogurt,
- the kimchi, or
However, the number and diversity of probiotic units in foods may vary. It may be better to take probiotic supplements than to eat foods rich in probiotics.
Tips to avoid a cold
It is not always possible to avoid catching a cold, but the following tips may reduce the risk:
-Avoid contact with people who are sick: Keep a safe distance with people who have colds, have a fever or cough.
- Wash your hands regularly: Use soap and hot water to eliminate bacteria and viruses from the skin. Teach children how to wash their hands properly. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer when you are away from home and necessary.
- Use disinfectant: When a family member is sick, clean the kitchen and bathroom regularly with a disinfectant. Wash sheets, towels and stuffed toys with hot water.
- Stay hydrated: Drink enough water, herbal teas and other drinks to avoid dehydration.
- Reduce stress: Stress affects the immune system and increases the risk of getting sick. To relieve stress, a person can exercise regularly, meditate, breathe deeply and try to progressively practice techniques for muscle relaxation.
- Get enough sleep: Try to sleep between 7 and 9 hours each night to stay fit and healthy.
- Take supplements that boost the immune system: Consider taking zinc, vitamin C and probiotics during the cold and flu season to keep the disease at bay.
Sometimes the symptoms of allergy can be confused with those of the cold. Reduce allergy outbreaks and, by doing so, avoid pollen, dust mites, animal dander and mold. Ask a doctor if you want to find out about allergy shots or medications.
Consult a doctor
Consult a doctor if you suffer from any of the following symptoms when you have a cough:
Yellow and green phlegm with bad smell
- Shaking chills
- Fever above 38 ° C
- Fever for more than 3 days
Call the emergency department or go to the nearest emergency center if your cough:
- It is accompanied by blood, or
- It causes you difficulty breathing.
Translated by Carmen María González Morales